Community Action Partnership for Madison County WIC Peer Counselor-Part Time in Oneida, New York
WIC Peer Counselor. Part time for Community Action Partnership for Madison County in Oneida, NY.
We are hiring a Peer Counselor for the Oneida, NY WIC office. This is a Supplementary position (15 hours) with no benefits. This position will provide breastfeeding support to WIC participants, promote and support breastfeeding activities within the agency.
- Completes USDA WIC Breastfeeding Curriculum and attends on-going training to keep breastfeeding knowledge and skills current.
- Provide counseling and support throughout the pregnancy and while breastfeeding following a defined scope of practice using in person, phone calls and/or text messaging to WIC participants only.
- Follow a defined scope of practice and yield or refer to DBE or QN/CPA as outlined in the USDA BF Curriculum.
- Be a resource for WIC mothers, refer to Peer Counselor Coordinator or Breastfeeding Coordinator as needed.
- Prepare mothers for what to expect the first hours and days of breastfeeding. Be available to WIC clients outside local agency clinic hours and clinic environment via phone call or text.
- Maintain their caseload using the Peer Counselor Module in the Management Information System.
- Document all contacts with WIC clients and attempted contacts following the Frequency of Peer Counselor Contacts focusing on time periods critical to breastfeeding.
- Complete and Submit the NYS WIC PC Productivity Record to adequately track all time worked and submits to Breastfeeding Coordinator or Peer Counselor Coordinator.
- Refers WIC participants to other WIC staff or community programs according to local agency established protocols.
- Attends and assists with prenatal classes and breastfeeding support groups as established by local agency.
- Establish a positive supportive environment for breastfeeding at all sites within the agency.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- WIC participant who has breastfeed.
- One year experience counseling breastfeeding women and consulting on breastfeeding concerns.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Proficient in use of computer and Microsoft applications (particularly Word); experience with automated data bases preferred.
- Must be well organized and have excellent time management skills.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Candidates must be able to pass an acceptable background check. Employment will be conditional pending the outcome of the check. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter and three professional references to: HR@capmadco.org. CAP is an EOE/AAE